Dry Ice Cleaning
Dry Ice Blast cleaning is being used in a wide range of applications from heavy slag removal to delicate semiconductor and circuit board cleaning. Dry Ice (CO2) blasting uses dry ice particles propelled through a high velocity air-stream to remove contaminants from surfaces without the additional cost of secondary waste removal.
Dry Ice Blasting is similar to traditional media blasting (ie. Sand, corn, salt) where the media is accelerated in a pressurized air-stream to impact the surface being cleaned or prepared. With dry ice blasting, the media that impacts the surface is solid carbon dioxide particles. Several mechanisms contribute to the cleaning process, which include:
- Embrittlement of materials at –80 deg C from the dry ice pellet
- Differential movement of materials due to lowered temperature
- Non- abrasive impact to the pellet to dislodge material
- Formation of a gas wedge under materials being removed, due to the substantial volume increase as the dry ice passes from solid to gas form
Benefits of Dry Ice Blasting Technology
- Cost Savings: Due to the sublimation of CO2, no secondary waste is created. Handling costs for disposal, containment and collection of waste is eliminated, reducing the clean up and other labour time.
- Longer Equipment Life: CO2 particles are totally non abrasive and non-corrosive. CO2 blasting will not wear tooling, pit surfaces, open tolerances, or damage bearings or machinery. The cleaning job stays clean longer since there are no residues to attract dirt or dust.
- Improved Productivity: CO2 blasting provides for “on the spot” cleaning. Disassembly or re-assembly of machine parts or motors is eliminated so machinery “downtime” and labor time is minimized. This saves you time, manpower and money!
- Versatility: CO2 cleaning is suitable for many surfaces such as metals, plastics, ceramics, fiberglass composites, and stainless steel.
- Environmental And Workplace Safety: Carbon dioxide is a non-toxic element. CO2 cleaning does not add any residue to the waste or containment being cleaned, reducing or eliminating employee exposure and corporate liability.
Dry Ice Cleaning Applications
- Electrical switchgear, motors, resistor banks, transformers
- Surface preparation
- Degreasing of heavy machinery, hoists, hydraulic power centers
- Precipitators, storage tanks, turbines, fans, compressors
- Paper machine frames
- Dryer rollers
- Screens, filters, conveyors
- NDE-NDT Inspections
- Fire restoration
- Food processing equipment (silos, mix tanks)